Well I have an interesting job.. I am a bona fide employee for the University of Utah. The surplus and salvaging part... I do the data entry for things that come in and go out while also working the cash register for the day. Doesn't sound too interesting I know, but it's the people that come in and I thought I'd share a little about a few of my regulars.
Wilbur... Wilbur is an 80 year old man who is deaf but loves ringing our bell over and over so we don't forget it. I loved signing what I knew to him when he first came in. He shared wonderful Helen Keller quotes with me and I enjoyed this little friendship, but... He stole a snowflake decoration from a bank for me, he started refusing to do business with anyone else but me, and soon Wilbur came in everyday asking about where I lived, if he could look up my family, if I wanted to have photos taken at his shop, etc. The days I didn't work he would be angry I didn't come in... Definitely didn't know I had an obligation to him. A lot a little sketched out by Wilbur and now find myself ducking under the desk to avoid when he comes in and tell my coworkers just to tell him I quit.
Chris... Chris is my friend who rides his Razor scooter all the way up the mountain just to see if we have new computer ram everyday. His toothless smile is so him and he doesn't shower for weeks but, unlike most our customers I can't smell him. He likes to tell other people what computer parts are and he's always asking when I'm going to get a scooter myself. He hasn't been coming in lately, which is kind of nice because I don't have to break up arguments he can have with other customers.
Tony..... Tony happened two weeks ago. He is, I believe, slightly mentally handicap and has had a broken foot for forever.. he says. He works at Carl's Jr and brings me sandwiches, coupons and even offered to buy me a phone. I keep mentioning my boyfriend because he keeps asking me what I'm doing on weekends... I don't think it's registering. This will be the fifth day in a row that he has been up at the counter for more than 2 hours just trying to make conversation with me.
The smart kid.... So there is the kid (yes I feel bad I can't remember his name) but he comes in for the craziest science equipment. He gets so happy about the weirdest stuff and I can't help but ask what each machine does and then try and pretend I know what he's talking about. He's seriously Jimmy Neutron, just a lot more reserved, unless you mention SCIENCE! He walked past my counter about 15 times before he blurted out "want to go get cup of coffee?" I told him all about my lover but said a new friend would be great and we could have a cup sometime. He comes in now and then while walking the counter several times before he darts back out.
Bill... Bill is in his mid 40's. He's a divorced Disneyland Dad that always is mentioning my hair color changes. I think he's pretty nice, but can't figure why he's so obsessed with giving me the look of "what color now?"
The policeman.... Well this started as a cop coming in and always giving me the creepy eye... Like I'm staring at you because you did something or I'm just trying to protect you. Could never figure that out. Then recently he has stopped wearing his uniforms and just comes in his pajamas. He left me a letter with pictures of celebrities that I look like. Now he comes in with DVDs for me of different TV shows I need to watch. Last week was 3 DVDS of MythBusters... I hope.
The hooker Jessica.... I have never seen so much glitter on a middle aged woman than Jessica. Her money is always covered in chocolate and it never hit me of her profession until I realized she comes in each time with a different man and he is always the one paying.
I have a lot more customers not mentioned and even coworkers that just make this job so weird and interesting. I won't even talk about my bosses and the concerns I have with them. But none the less I'm happy I have a job that can help pay my bills and give me crazy stories to blog. There you have a little look into my work life. Oh the people we meet.
I loved reading this! Such an interesting life!!
ReplyDelete